XeThru doorbell

Discussion in 'Presence Sensor' started by Marius Lind Volstad, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Marius Lind Volstad

Marius Lind Volstad Member Staff Member

Just wanted to share what I'm currently using my XeThru sensor for.
    A few weeks back I found the transmitter of my wireless doorbell to have a flat battery. I didn't have a fresh battery readily available and constantly forgot to pick one up, so I was without a doorbell for quite some time. Then it hit me: I have a wall-penetrating XeThru radar at my disposal.

I dug up a Raspberry Pi and connected the XeThru sensor to the USB port. Using some Python code (attached) I managed to get a presence/non-presence event transmitted over WiFi to my home automation server running OpenHAB. My OpenHAB setup is configured to deliver a Pushover message whenever the presence sensor is triggered. I have positioned the sensor on the inside of my hall. Thus it is acting as an automated doorbell.
    So as my guests are trying to locate my doorbell I am already on my way to open the door. ;)

- Marius

Attached Files:

2. Marius Lind Volstad

Marius Lind Volstad Member Staff Member

My XeThru doorbell has been operational for over a year now. Earlier I had a few false detections due to humid weather and wind which made the outdoor plants move and cause a detection. These have all been dealt with by setting a minimum threshold for the signal value and requiring a minimum time period of detected movement.
    After these minor tweaks we haven't had any false detection. But last Friday the system detected a visitor that didn't really intend to trigger the doorbell.

My fiancée was home alone when a message ticked in on her phone at midnight, notifying her that someone was at the door. Her initial thought was that it had to be a false detection because of the late hour, and also got a bit annoyed by being disturbed by such an error. But still she went to the window to see if someone was there.

In the darkness she barely got a glimpse of a person going around the corner over to the neighbour. She got suspicious and went upstairs to get a better view of the person. There she saw that he had gone inside the neighbour's storage room and was snooping around. After calling the police it only took them about 5 minutes before they were on the scene. The person vanished as soon as he heard the sound of the police car approaching, but the police caught him a couple of hours later. In addition to stuff belonging to other people, they found a letter addressed to our house on him that he had taken from our mailbox (an envelope from a charity with a couple of christmas cards and a letter asking for a donation, so don't know what he intended to do with it). The police brought him in to sleep in prison for the night.

The funny thing is; not only did the XeThru doorbell do its part in stopping this criminal, but since this happened in Trondheim, he was very likely monitored by a XeThru sensor in his prison cell as well (https://www.xethru.com/blog/posts/xethru-respiration-sensors-pilot-project-norwegian-police). :)

- Marius

Attached Files:

Lovexethru, Xióng, Olle Alm and 4 others like this.
  3. Olav Liseth

Olav Liseth Administrator Staff Member

Awesome update Marius! I need to set up one of those, anyone else using the XeThru doorbell?