X4M03 development kit

Discussion in 'General' started by Lee Su-jeong, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Lee Su-jeong

Lee Su-jeong New Member

Hi

We have been receiving technical support from the company "laonuri" in Korea. However, recently, we have been unable to receive support due to laonuri’s circumstances. So I have posted inquiries here.

I contact you about the UWB radar X4M03 development kit. I want to test a example (X4XEPDistanceDemo) in Atmel Studio.

1. Atmel Studio is expected to require a debugger in addition to the power cable for testing (JTAG, Atmel-ICE, SAM-ICE, etc.). What debugger should I use in the kit? I hope to be recommended a good debugger.

2. There are no S70 examples in Atmel Studio. If there are any other radar related examples that I would like to test based on s70, please let me know.

3. I know that the S70 series is not a car MCU. In the future, if we use the vehicle MCU (V70, V71), I wonder if it's compatible(XEP). And is there another MCU supported by Novelda?

4. Is there any particular reason to use the S70 chip?

5. In the Atmel studio program, the V71 series is the most common example. I wonder if it is OK to apply the V series source directly to the S series source. Can I just change the board settings?

6. When I experimented with the example(X4XEPDistanceDemo), data memory usage was 622.9%. Why did this result come out? I just tested the example...

You may be busy but I would be very grateful if you could give a quick answer.

Thank you.

SJ

2. Bjørn Åge Brandal

Bjørn Åge Brandal Moderator Staff Member

Dear Su-Jeong,
    I can answer 1-5, but I will leave to our support gurus to answer #6 :)

1) The debugger we use and recommend is the Atmel-ICE. Its a great little unit at an affordable price. The ATATMEL-ICE-BASIC package from Microchip (former Atmel) contains all you need.

2) The only demo code we have available besides the XEP framework is the X4XEPDistanceDemo. However the XEP and X4XEPDistanceDemo should cover everything you need to build your own application. Basically the difference between X4XEPDistanceDemo and any other X4M03 (SAMS70) radar project would be your own signal processing with corresponding application layer.

3) We have not tested the V70, but as far as I know the S70 and V70 are code compatible. Although there might be peripheral differences the SPI interface and memory interface which is the only two peripheral interfaces we need, should be similar.

4) Mainly because it is a great chip, very powerful and with good development tools that enabled us to easily develop our products :) Also we wanted to make the hardware platform future-proof by making sure we have enough resources (memory, processing capabiolity etc) for any future radar application, and the S70 is (at least was at that time) the most powerful Cortex M7 device, with the biggest internal program memory (Flash).

5) The V series and S series should be code compatible, although we have not tested this. But the V series offer additional features and peripherals, so it depends on whether or not the V series code you want to run on the S series are using V series specific features and peripherals or not.

3. Charlie Shao

Charlie Shao Moderator Staff Member

I will answer the 6th question:
    6. When I experimented with the example(X4XEPDistanceDemo), data memory usage was 622.9%. Why did this result come out? I just tested the example...

6) It true that you will get this warning when you build this project, the reason is that this project chooses ATSAMS70Q20 as default device at project configuration, which has an internal memory of 384KB, while this project needs 2.4MB. Our X4M03 development kit has an 8MB external SDRAM on board, which is far enough for normal design. For now, this is no better solution to kill this warning, since this is no option to configure the external in Atmel Studio.