Which format does the raw data have?

Discussion in 'Respiration Sensor' started by Sam, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Sam

Sam New Member

Hey all,
    I just discovered the X2M200 and was wondering what kind of raw data I can get from the sensor?
    Is it possible to extract the, non-processed, power vs. range information of a single bin?
    Or is there a certain preprocessing which I cannot avoid?
    I'm asking because I'd like to use the sensor for arbitrary range measurements.
    Thanks a lot in advance,
  2. Olav Liseth

Olav Liseth Administrator Staff Member

3. vikas mehra

vikas mehra New Member

As per datasheet of Baseband Example fig 2 & 3 ...first graph of (baseband amplitude) showing two peaks ..I can understand second peak symbolize person reflection but what is first reflection/peak ??
    My idea for above question is this Whether baseband raw data is the signal + noise due to clutter or only intelligent signal which i want to see i.e human being. For my project development, i need mix baseband data(signal+noise) then using FPGA i will this I/Q data to it and start signal processing inside my FPGA..Will it be possible?

4. Ole-Johan

Ole-Johan Moderator Staff Member

The first "reflection" in the baseband example plot can be the direct path between tx and rx, or some static object in the beginning of the frame. This depends on how you set the detection zone.
    We do not remove the noise or static reflections in the baseband output, so you should get what you want.

5. vikas mehra

vikas mehra New Member

Thanks for your reply
  6. sweta

sweta New Member

Baseband amplitude data is plotted between Number of bins versus amplitude(volt);
    could you please help me regarding number of bins; what is it mean?

7. Ole-Johan

The X axis in the plot you see is the distance in meters seen from the radar. This is reported as bins in the baseband message. In the same message you can also read bin length, which enables you to calculate the distance in meters like we have done in the Matlab example in the appnote:

numBins = hdr(3);
    binLength = hdr(4);
    r = (0:numBins-1)*binLength;

8. sweta

sweta New Member

Thanks Ole,

i am streaming real time data in MATLAB from com port. I don't have header file in real time streaming.
    and i am not able to set detection zone in module connector.

9. Ole-Johan

OK. What you can do is use XeThru Explorer to set the detection zone you want, and then do a short log, as described in the appnote. Then use the testBasebandAmplitude.m exanple to get the binLength. Next time you stream live, this bin length will be the same, so you can use that to calculate distance.

10. sweta

sweta New Member

okay. can we set detection zone in script (ModuleConnector.m) while we are streaming baseband data?
  11. Ole-Johan

Yes, you should be able to do the same thing with Module Connector.
    Use this sequence: Reset module, load profile, set detection zone (+ other settings), set sensor mode start.
  12. sweta

sweta New Member

Thank you Ole.