Short Range Snow Depth Measurement - Ancho/Cayenne radars wavering

Discussion in 'Chips+Salsa' started by Mickael, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Mickael

Mickael New Member

Hi everyone,

I would like to be able to measure a snow depth ( about 50 cm max ) from an UAV flying at less than 20 m over the sea ice. I have watched the X1 (where snow depth is mentioned) and X2 transceivers data sheets but I have a couple of question given that my 0 years expertise on radars !

X2 doesn't use CTBV Signal-Acquisition do it ?
    I need to have around 5 - 7 GHz bandwidth to reach my range resolution in snow medium but which one will allow me the best distinction between air/snow and snow/ice boundaries ?
    Frame offset setting is the same with both of those devices ?
    Many thanks !
    Mickael

2. Michael Lehmann

Michael Lehmann Moderator Staff Member

Mickael,

They Cayenne would be your best option for measuring snow depth. However, keep in mind that with sea ice, the salt in it may make it difficult to measure with that accuracy that high above the ice.

As to your other questions:

Both the Ancho and Cayenne will use CTBV for measurements.
    The Cayenne will be the best option for the range resolution you have set.
    The frame offset setting should be the same for both systems.

Regards,

Mike Lehmann

3. Mickael

Mickael New Member

Michael,

Thank you very much for your answer. I still have two little questions about the Salsa Cayenne.

This radar seems to use the IPG0, Medium-Band Pulse Generator. Using the same radar, could it be possible to switch to the IPG1 Low-Band Pulse generator if needed ?

I have seen that it is possible to get (and maybe modify ?) the source code of Salsa SDK. Could you tell me more about this ? In particular about the Ranging applications ?

Best Regards.
    Mickael Evrard.

4. Michael Lehmann

Michael Lehmann Moderator Staff Member

Mickael,

The IPG0 & IPG1 are completely different hardware pins, so re-configuring from one to the other is not possible on the Cayenne.

The Salsa source code proprietary to FlatEarth, i.e. DSP libraries, are not available. However, all source code related to the embedded demos, ranging demo, etc. is fully available in the Salsa Suite.

Regards,

Mike Lehmann

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016