Reading pulse doppler float/byte .dat files to python (numpy) array

Discussion in 'Presence Sensor' started by ahhjones, Jun 1, 2018.

1. ahhjones

ahhjones New Member

I would like to be able to record data using Xethru explorer and then read the pulse doppler matrices from the .dat file produced as part of the output into a numpy array (or similar). Would anyone be able to provide an example or point my in the right direction for how to do this, please?

Thanks in advance.

2. Charlie Shao

Charlie Shao Moderator Staff Member

Hi Ahhjones,
    I can help you with your confusing.
    Inside the recording folder, there are several kinds of reading files. meta.dat provide information of the other real recording files. It is used by Dataplayer and Datareader class of ModuleConnector. The other data like *.csv and *.data are real data from radar module. *.dat contains binary data, which is continued radar frame by frame, the frame format can be checked at XTAN-05_XeThruFileFormats-v2.pdf. CSV file can be opened by test reader or Excel. par file contains module configuration record.
    There are two kinds of way to interpret the data:
    1. use DataReader class from ModuleConnector, this thread has a discussion:
    https://www.xethru.com/community/th...ead-x4-baseband-data-in-matlab.284/#post-1789
    2. Interpreter *.data file directly. See the attached example for baseband IQ data on Matlab, pulse doppler float/byte .dat files should be similar.
    Unfortunately, there is no python example ready to use, but you can easily transplant Matlab example to python, good luck! :)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  3. ahhjones

ahhjones New Member

Hi Charlie Shao

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately I cannot open the .zip - apparently the ip address cannot be found. Would you mind resending please?

Thanks again.

4. Charlie Shao

Charlie Shao Moderator Staff Member

Sorry , here is the example for baseband IQ data on Matlab:

Attached Files: