Problems with getting started

Discussion in 'X4M03' started by Roman, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Roman

Roman New Member

Hello, currently I have your X4M03 and X4M06 kits.
    The problem is that I don't see any of them under device manager -> COM Ports.
    Am I doing something wrong? I apologize in advance for maybe duplicate newbie questions, but I haven't found any good "getting started" guide, so I'll post my questions here:
    1. Am I correct that Xethru Explorer WILL NOT recognize those kits?
    2. Shall I see any of them under device manager -> COM Ports?
    3. I tried clean Win 10 Pro installation (with all updates and drivers, that windows prompted during and after install ) - no devices are found. Shall I install BOSSA driver (because readme says, that it's not needed under Win10)?
    4. Let's imagine that it works. What are my further steps? I prefer MATLAB (on x64 Windows 10 Machine) and C++ (preferably under Raspberry PI, qt5). Not familiar with Python to any level of skill.
    5. Also, as far as I understand, Xethru Explorer is written using qt. Are there any qt wrappers for Module Connector?
    6. Is only Raspbian Jessie supported? What about Stretch?
    7. Any good guidelines for interfacing kit directly over SPI, if that is even possible? Will it give me more fps?

2. Rajat Sewal

Rajat Sewal New Member

Windows does not install drivers for devices connected via COM ports. That is a plug&play feature supported on PCIe, or USB buses. You have to install the XeThruExplorer software, on which you setup the COM port.

3. Charlie Shao

Charlie Shao Moderator Staff Member

Hi Roman,
    I suspect your problem is one basic hardware problem. We do have the "getting started" guide, I will provide it to you by answering your questions.
    1.2.3 There should be some COM port appear if you connect module through USB cable, and XeThru Explorer will show the COM port and device name on the startup page. I suggest you check the USB cable at first, some cable only provides power supply without data transmission, also make sure it is connected with computer USB port directly instead of a USB hub, switch USB cable or computer to try. Check if the LED on the module is light up, Win10 has very good compatibility, normally you do not need to install BOSSA driver by yourself, but please try if it still does not work.
    4. Use this application note to start with ModuleConnector API, there are simple MATLAB and C++ example can be found in its folder, the latest examples are updated on our git repo.
    5. XeThru Explorer is based on ModuleConnector and Qt. It uses a Qt commercial license and we do not have the plan to open-source it.
    6. Yes, Raspbian Stretch is supported.
    7. You can use other controllers to communication with X4M05. We provide open source XEP running on Atmel SAM MCU as reference. There is also one Raspberry Pi example.