Material Analysis

Discussion in 'General' started by LDBM, Mar 10, 2016.

1. LDBM

LDBM New Member

Hi,
    I am still working through the motion to have a clear picture in my mind on how the chip radar works compared to an "old style" impulse radar. In most discussions, the point is to detect a target at a certain distance, and the radar settings seem to allow for bracketing within a range window where it is going to "look for" and "see" a target.

Now what about the case where I want to look at the internal properties of a material of thickness d. Assuming there is enough power and sensitivity for that, I'd want to see "all" (within the radar range resolution) internal layers from x = 0 to x=d in the material. How would you go about it? Setting a frame size that encompasses d? or changing the offset? etc... d could be in the 0-2m range, or 0-5m range, or 0-20m range.
    thx.
    L.

2. Stig Støa

Stig Støa New Member Staff Member

Hi,

The actual frame size is fixed to either 256 samples (~1m depth) for the X2 radar, and 512 samples for the X1 radar (~2m/~4m/~20m depth, fixed number but variable sampling rate). I'll use the parameters for X2 to make an example. If d<1m, you can set your frame offset to 0m and still see all the layers (assuming that propagation speed is similar to propagation in air).

If d>1m, say 2m, you can measure the first meter with offset 0m and the second meter with offset 1m. The initial offset is adjustable and can be tuned very accurately, so it should give you a relatively seamless stitch of your two measurements. Of course, if you stitch "N" non-overlapping frames, you will have to divide your frame rate by N to maintain a fixed SNR.

Hope this helps,
    Stig

Nguyen Thi Phuoc Van likes this.
  3. LDBM

LDBM New Member

Thx Stig. Sorry for late reply, I was away for a while.
    L.

Nguyen Thi Phuoc Van likes this.