How to increase maximum FPS?

Discussion in 'X4M03' started by Jae-HO CHOI, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Jae-HO CHOI

Jae-HO CHOI New Member

I`m using X4M03 and want to do coherent integration to improve SNR. So I`d like to get more frame data per second.
    I refered to the link ( and adjusted the parameter pulseperstep to increase FPS. However, no matter how I adjusted the parameter pulseperstep, I couldn`t increase FPS more than 30 on my laptop computer. I tried same process on my desktop and find that the maximum FPS increased to about 50.

1. My question is, do I have some solutions to improve FPS? I used MATLAB API and XEP_X4_configure_radar.m to get frame data. Does using Python API or C API be effective to increase maximum FPS?
    2. Also, are there any methods to improve SNR? I`m taking into account of using matched filtering, but don`t know how to produce reference signal.

2. Charlie Shao

Charlie Shao Moderator Staff Member

Hi Jae-Ho,

1. Have you done test on from that thread? Please post your configuration.
    FPS is decided by sensor side, there is no difference for the scripts running on the host side. With FPS increasing, the script may not fast enough to process every message.

2. From the view of X4 chip, SNR is decided by PPS and iteration, Increased Integration will result in enhancement of SNR. Unfortunately, we do not have much experience in matched filtering.

3. Jae-HO CHOI

Jae-HO CHOI New Member

Hi Shao,
    Thank you for replying so quickly.

Actually, I`m not skilled with Python, so it may take times to test on I`ll study running the X4M03 with Python and try it.

And, you said that FPS is decided by sensor side(radar), not the host side(processor). Then, it means the maximum FPS for same code may be constant regardless of using a laptop or desktop. Right?

4. Yang Han

Yang Han New Member

Hi Shao,
    I have the same problem with Jae-Ho, I calculated the theoretical maximum FPS using the excel you provided on another forum, but no matter how high the theoretical value is, the actual FPS is no more than 60. Another problem is that I can see FPS get to 60 using the XEP_X4_plot_frame.mat but when I begin to record Amplitude and phase data using XEP_X4_configure.mat with same parameter, the recording can't be made when FPS is set bigger than 40(the recoding file does not show up) Do you know the reason why?
  5. Charlie Shao

Yes, you are correct.
  6. Charlie Shao

Hi Yang,
    Please try this test script at first, this test just read the data message out, and calculating the real FPS with the FPS setting. On your tests, the plotting process on Matlab is quite time-consuming, so the real FPS will be slow.