Hardware Setup XETHRU DEVELOPMENT PLATFORM

Discussion in 'XeThru Embedded Platform (XEP)' started by neilwang0913, Mar 17, 2017.

1. neilwang0913

neilwang0913 New Member

Hello :

I am currently working on the hardware setup and build the software platform.

The XETHRU DEVELOPMENT PLATFORM board just arrived and I connect it to my PC and use python as the connector at the moment.

I find a there is not introduction about the XETHRU DEVELOPMENT PLATFORM board.

Firstly, I wonder to know how to test it and make sure it is working properly? I select XeThruExplorer as a reference but I cannot find the device shown in here. However, the board has been detected as the COM3. Is that normal? How do you test the board initially?

Secondly, I cannot read the data through the connector (python) and I have setup the python successfully on my PC. I run "python record.py -d /dev/ttyS3" is that right ? and it gives me error show attachment?

Could you help me solve these confusion and questions?

Many thanks.

Fz

Attached Files:

2. Olav Liseth

Olav Liseth Administrator Staff Member

Hi Fz,

We will for sure add more examples and documentation for the development platform in the weeks to come. I posted an introduction on how to use the X4M03 kit with matlab yesterday:
    https://www.xethru.com/community/threads/raw-waveforms-and-triggering-with-x4m03.148/

Attached you will find a basic python example, you can run it with

The -d switch tells the script which COM port the X4M03 is using, see e.g. device manager -> Ports on windows to find the com port and substitute COMPORT with the actual com port.

The script shows how to set settings and stream frames from the module.

I hope this will get you started.

**EDIT**
    Version 2: Added baseband switch, example: python simple_xep_plot.py -dcom16 -b
    Version 3: Added support for X4M300 and X4M200 modules.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  3. neilwang0913

neilwang0913 New Member

Hi Olav:

Yes, both Matlab and python work are good for starting the great journey.

Many thanks.

Fengzhou

Olav Liseth likes this.
  4. dhanishvijayan

dhanishvijayan New Member

Hi all,
    Many thanks for the code "simple_xep_plot.py". It worked perfectly.
    But when I tried to downsample using the function x4driver_set_downconversion, instead of getting ((128*12/8)-4)=188 bins, I am getting 376!!. And plot also has two peaks. I am wondering how this happens. Can anybody show some light how to modify the code to extract I and Q values and to get the expected 188 bins.

I am trying for last 2 days for a workaround and was unable to find a solution yet...

Attached Files:

5. Olav Liseth

Hi dhanishvijayan,

I just added baseband functionality to the script.

dhanishvijayan likes this.
  6. dhanishvijayan

dhanishvijayan New Member

Hi Olav,
    Many thanks. Your script worked perfectly. I am getting 188 bins per frame - downsampled data now.

7. Horst Huettmann

Horst Huettmann New Member

Hi,
    after I got "simple_xep_plot.py" running, I started to modify it... without success!
    I tried to use e.g. "x4driver_set_dac_step", "x4driver_set_frame_area", or "x4driver_set_frame_area_offset" but nothing worked.

Could somebody give an advice?

Thanks,
    Horst

erpeng likes this.
  8. erpeng

erpeng New Member

Hi:

you can see your computer COM PORT , just like : simple_xep_plot.py -d COM5

9. Olav Liseth

10. Usman Shahid

Usman Shahid New Member

Hi Olav,
    Would it possible to have a simple sample file (extracting and plotting raw data) in like the matlab/pyhton written in C++ for X04M03?

11. lyrik

lyrik New Member

Hi Olav, I have tried your script and it works, but I feel it difficult to understand the meaning of the output.
    Do you have any document describing the output signal?
    -0.12256 0.12256 0.09674 -0.12256 0.00545 0.12256 -0.07273 -0.11384 0.10806 0.04625 -0.12256......