Hardware options and BBB

Discussion in 'Chips+Salsa' started by LDBM, Feb 4, 2016.

1. LDBM

LDBM New Member

Hi,

Congrats with the new(ish) forum. I just found out about it.

So I am looking at using a Novelda radar chip, with either Cayenne or Ancho hardware module. The part I am not clear about is the Beagle Bone. Is it just a bridge to a PC or Mac to run demos ? What are the options if I do not want to use a BBB in the future ? Can the radar module be interfaced with any controller that can deal with I2C or CAN ?

Thx.
    L.

2. Will

Will Moderator XeThru Partner

LDBM,

The BBB can be just a bridge to a host PC, but more importantly it can be a standalone processing unit for rapid prototyping of your radar application. Novelda's Radarlib and Flat Earth's Salsalib coexist in the BBB Linux environment to manage all radar communication, control, and advanced signal processing. We provide Demos (with source code) and library APIs that run directly on the BBB or on a host PC. The radar cape has CAN and I2C access, but this is controlled by the BBB (The BBB controls the CAN MAC layer, but the radar cape provides the CAN transceiver). If you don't want to use the BBB you can interface directly to the radar chip SPI. We can provide the pinout and any assistance in driver/library porting or development.

Regards,
    Will

3. LDBM

LDBM New Member

Thx Will.
    Still thinking about options here. Is there a specific version of Linux required to interface with the cape? In other words, which version of linux should my controller have? Thx.
    L.

4. Will

L,

I believe the Linux version is less important than the hardware platform. Everything is compiled with the BBB kernel and distro: 3.8.13-bone71, Debian Wheezy 7.4. However, most of the code is C so compiling for a different version of Linux should be straightforward, but the nuances in hardware architecture are more key to interfacing correctly with the cape, i.e. porting the SPI in Radarlib.

Regards,
    Will

5. Will

L,
    To get a little more specific; if you are using a Linux-based embedded controller with SPI, chances are good Radarlib and Salsalib can be compiled for that platform; however, chances are also good it won't just be plug-and-play (but it will be much better than starting from scratch!). If you want to use a non Linux-based embedded controller with SPI, this is fine too, but you may have to create your own radar driver and signal processing.

Regards,
    Will

6. LDBM

LDBM New Member

Thx Will, this is helpful.

I am going to take a close look at radarlib / salsalib. My hope is to use a third-party development environment to set the radar and get the raw data out. Ideally I would skip BBB, but for the time being that may be ok to work with it.

L.