Accessing the raw data

Discussion in 'General' started by Peter Prodinger, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Peter Prodinger

Peter Prodinger New Member

Hallo everybody.

I am now working with the XeThru sensor and i was wondering, if there is a way to access the raw data of the sensor. I read into the serial protocol and have also used the python driver. But the protocol is very application specific, so i was looking for a way to access the radar data to maybe use it for other applications. I would appreaciate a more detailed insight.

Regards.
    Peter

2. Stig Støa

Stig Støa New Member Staff Member

Hi Peter

Access to the raw unprocessed data is currently not supported by the XeThru Serial Protocol.

Regards,
    Stig

3. Peter Prodinger

Peter Prodinger New Member

Stig Støa wrote:
    Access to the raw unprocessed data is currently not supported by the XeThru Serial Protocol.

Sorry to hear that. I am currently also trying to implement a distance measurment script, because i read of the great distance accuracy of the sensor, but unfortunately it appears, that the a distance value is only provided, when a respiration is detected. Do you think one could trigger the sensor, so it would also provide the distance of a movement which is not a respiration?

By the way: I am using the provided Python driver

Regards
    Peter

4. Stig Støa

Stig Støa New Member Staff Member

Hi Peter

Distance to movement, which is not respiration, is a feature we are currently working on primarily in relation to the presence application. Although this is a feature that should work for both the respiration and the presence application, there are a few reasons why you might see this feature implemented differently in the two applications. Essentially, it's about application specific customizations.
    I’ll share some of my thoughts on how we can/should provide distance in the current applications, and welcome suggestions for improvements.

In both the respiration application and the presence application the moving objects are assumed to be people, so what we are interested in is the distance to the body. Because of the high range resolution of the XeThru sensor, it quickly becomes apparent that the human body is not a point scatterer but rather a dynamic group of reflectors. The ability to trace the micro-movements of all these reflectors enables some very interesting applications like complex gesture classifications etc. On the other hand, one might argue that it makes little sense to provide distance with mm accuracy to a moving person unless we are only interested in a specific part of the body.

Imagine that you are lying stretched out on a couch with the XeThru sensor 0.5 meters in front of your chest. In this scenario, the distance to your feet could be 1.5 meters, meaning that your body is covering the full 0.8 meter measurement of the respiration application. We had this in mind when we configured the respiration sensor and decided to only provide the distance to the respiration.

In contrast to the respiration application, the presence application can simultaneously measure an area of several meters. With a bigger area, it becomes more convenient to treat the body as a single scatterer and thus simplify features such as tracing movement and differentiate between two people.

Regards,
    Stig